- Set a bar (barbell or Smith Machine) on the height that best works for you.
- Step under the bar and place the back of your shoulders (just under your neck) across the bar.
- Hold on to the bar with both arms, palms facing forward.
- Lift up to unlock the bar by pushing your legs up and raising your torso.
- Twist your hands back to completely unlock the bar.
- If you’re not already, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent for a squat position.
- Bend your knees straight down as low as possible, and step straight back up while keeping your knees in line with your heels.
*If you’re unsure what weight you’re comfortable with, start off with something very light and see how it feels. Add to it until you find that comfortable but difficult weight level.